Tuesday 27 December 2011

panelled door

We didn't quite manage to finish the kitchen before Christmas, so I'm trying to finish all the little bits off now. Our boiler is now in a cupboard that originally housed the fridge freezer. There was no door atall as the fridge stood in the doorway itself with alot of wasted space behind.
So we had a piece of mdf cut to size, as it is quite a small opening - and then I spent some time considering how to make it look more interesting.


Doors unpainted, no skirting and no laminate floor.


Walls finished here but doors only primed and a dust sheet on new laminate.


I wanted to panel the door and strengthen it, so that we could attach the ikea iron and board holder.


I found some very thin (6mmx92mmx2400mm) pine strips in the local diy store and decided to use the screw holes on the iron holder as a guide for the spacing. That way the screws could be a little bit deeper than the 1/2 inch mdf and use the extra strength of the pine.



I cut two long pieces to run vertically and then six pieces to run horizontally. I used gripper and then small tacks. It took a little while to get the spacing right. I think I was just trying to wing it, but decided on good old fashioned maths, in the end !






I placed the wood about 4mm from the edge all the way around, to accomodate the hinges.
It worked out pretty well and only took about an hour.

Then today I painted a few layers of white.



We also finished the skirting, and the white looks great with the darker laminate floor.
And I looked through a box of old knobs (unwanted items, that I find on decorating jobs), and found the perfect glass knob.



I even left the old paint on it, as I like the idea that someone else used it for years. And best of all, it cost me nothing.


I finished painting the 'boxing in' that covers some pipes that run to the boiler, which is now housed in the cupboard.

I now just have a couple of other small finishes. I need to paint the back door again, and add a draught excluder (and take the plastic off the window that you might have noticed) and fill and touch up the beading that I have run all around the worktop.

And .........................................................................................
tomorrow, there is always tomorrow .............

linking up with
Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing




shabby creek cottage


17 comments:

  1. This is so pretty, it looks likean antique door!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey hey there! Welcome to blogging. Glad you joined me. Love your door, I really love the knob. Happy New Year, I look forward to seeing you more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The door looks great! Wonderful idea to change a door´s look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment/following my blog!
    I love that door...at first glance I was skeptical but then I saw what you did and it was amazing!!! GOOD JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you did for that door! Looks antique and beautiful painted white. Great transformation. Have a great and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So...returned from your Christmas holidays more creative! Nice job!
    Love, Olga
    P.S.: Love your new whitewashed background!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That door is so charming now! Very clever idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Incredible! I've added a inside 'frame' of trim on a hollow core door, but yours is gorgeous! Little Bit from DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that is SUCH a change!!! I love it! How genius that you put those boards on the mdf. I would never have thought of that! It adds so much visual interest and just makes the door really look like something you paid a lot for. It's gorgeous! I also love the knob. How pretty is that? I can't wait to see this all done. It's coming along wonderfully and looks just so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a great job.....it looks like a vintage door that has been there forever. I especially love the glass knob, so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would never thought about making a panel door like this. Would love love love for you to share this at my Best of 2011 party going on now http://space46.blogspot.com. Happy new year! My

    ReplyDelete
  12. saw your door on space 46...very nice! looks vintage...i love the glass door knob...
    ashley @ creating love & joy

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! I can't believe that was just a sheet of MDF! It looks like a small door you would find in a 100 year old home. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for linking up at Made Up & Loved! I featured this today. Swing by to grab a button if you'd like. Best, My

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's amazing! Love the door and the colour of the floor :)

    GG x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your new door! The best: how simple you did it! It goes pretty well in your now beautiful kitchen! Great work! Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm your new follower.

    ReplyDelete

It's always a pleasure to receive your comments. I really enjoy reading them, and a huge thank you if you are following as well !