Tuesday 20 May 2014

L.E.T.T.E.R.S



I bought a few more cardboard letters for my bathroom, to fill the gap to the left of the cabinet. I've always had a feeling it would give the illusion of making the cabinet feel wider.

 
I tried the white B.A.T.H.E letters here, but felt it was a shame that you only got to see them when walking out of the bathroom (or lying in the bath with your head at an uncomfortable angle). Anyway, they work well by the window, but I still had a gap by the cabinet that needed filling.
 
 
So, I thought....why not, just go buy some more. I chose Le Bain and gilded them because of the little bit of old gold on the cabinet handle. Or maybe just because I can't resist a bit of gold.
 

 
I mentioned in the last post that I wanted to tie all the colours in the room together, albeit in a very subtle way, so I painted the sides of the letters in a few carefully chosen colours.
 
 
I found a perfect matchpot of yellow to go with my yellow bath, and painted the E and the N.
 
 
I bought a red match pot for the B, because of the paint and fabric on the cabinet.
 
 
I used AS Emile on the L, because of the pinks and lavenders in the room.
 
 
I also chose a blue and a turquoise for the A and I.


I just painted the letters in a charcoal, then gilded the fronts and put a glaze on the gold to dull them slightly and then painted the sides and distressed a little.



My obsession with letters didn't diminish, I bought two more, but not for the bathroom.
I finally got out of the bathroom.

I'm now working on something I've wanted to do for about 10 years, it's very exciting.

I've also been working on all of these. More red chairs, some updating at home and some work in a boiler room !


I just don't blog very much, so I want to say thank you very much if you've stopped by for a little look.

12 comments:

  1. Looks amazing Fiona; what lovely colours, both soothing and fresh! Love the gold/blue knob of the cupboard door, too. I can't resist gold, either. I tend to purchase gold leaf style frames for most of my prints, as they give a slight shimmer, albeit matte, to the art.

    Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your letters look lovely next to the cabinet, Fiona! The gilding and accent colors are a nice touch. I hope to get back to blogging soon, but when I do, I've got to deal with a new computer and all the technical stuff I dislike, so I've been dragging my feet. I can't wait to see what you're up to next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really sophisticated and elegant. Is the bathroom done now? It feels from this end like it is done? If so, I would love to see pics of the whole finished thing. I mean, finished as much as anything is ever finished, you know. Really beautifully thought out and executed, very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in love with the letters Fiona!!! Adding the touch of color on the sides of the letters was perfect! Agreed that placing them there helps to widen the cabinet. Looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hard to blog when you spend all your time actually working on stuff. Or in the bathroom. Which by the way turned out very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the 2 toned letters--great touch to your bath, fiona:) the peek picture looks very interesting--love the collages:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how your letters tie all the colours in the bathroom together, very creative and artictic! I see you've been really busy. Is that new project in the kitchen???

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never would have thought to paint the edges in a different colour. Thanks so much for the inspiration! That's one of the reasons I never miss a post. You are the pro girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the letters and I am with Maureen...great idea to use a different colour on the edges. I am really loving the turquoise. You are the queen of details Fiona....truly are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the letters and you sure tied them in with the colors nicely! You are blogging more than I am these days! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love letters too and yours are fabulous! I love the colors on the side and the gold on the front. Such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

It's always a pleasure to receive your comments. I really enjoy reading them, and a huge thank you if you are following as well !