Monday 13 May 2013

changing places



Having moved back to a house I've lived in before, it was very tempting to make it easy for myself and just put everything back in the same place. I've got a few new things though and had fun trying to find space for them all. This is the dining room end of my lounge-diner.


The tenants left the house in pretty good condition apart from a very worn carpet, and although it could all do with a lick of paint (white of course) it doesn't look half bad.
The chandelier and the blinds have been there for years. The marble topped table I had hidden away in my studio at the old geezers, and the chairs were the ones that Pandy found me.
My favourite bit is the table and mirror on the right. I had envisaged the table in the corner where the light is, before I moved back (it was in the guest room at the old geezers) but as you can see below, it didn't quite fit !




Though I still tried wedging it in there !

Putting it on the other wall, worked out perfectly. The gilded mirror was a charity shop find, years ago and was also in the guest room before, and the pictures had been in the kitchen. The plant is a fake and had been in my bedroom.

 
I'm so glad I didn't let my most recent tenants paint the stripped pine doors.


In the corner is my painted bureau that I used to have in the hall of the old geezers house. Luckily it fits into the alcove where the table didn't.
 
 
Once I'd removed the large bit of driftwood (one day I'll have inspiration for it, so far I've only come up with hat stand), I started hanging things. The printers block tray never had a home before, but I love it here with a collection of beach finds and other junk, and I can keep adding to it.

 
It's already had a few additions !
 
 
Everything seems to be fitting in here a lot better. Everything has a place, and everywhere I look, everything seems really 'pretty' to me. At the old geezers I just used to close the doors of certain rooms I didn't like.
The only things I miss, are my stencilled walls and the proximity to the beach. I have just moved further north in the same town, and instead of a 10 minute walk to the beach, it's about half an hour's walk now, but I can't complain.
 
Next time I'll show you the living room end and my new sofa !
 
 

18 comments:

  1. What fun changing furniture to different places in your home... you now can have it where ever you like. I sure hope that you will be happier soon. What a difficult time no matter if you still cared or not.
    I am looking forward to more pictures of your lovely home.
    Cathy in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiona, it all looks so gorgeous. I love the table natural wood and that frame is gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its looking great Fiona. I so want a huge printers tray like that, just gorgeous! I hope you and Rufus are settling in well xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything's fitting perfectly into your former home! You've got some nice vintage pieces, and the printer's tray is a fun addition. I just had one it my hands the other day, but didn't think I had enough smalls to fill the spaces. I like your idea of slowly filling it up. Can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're past the blue door! You're right about everything looking great in that room. There's a mellow feel to the room that works with the furniture and accents. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fiona your "new" house looks so serene and warm! And I love the styling you've done on the table (the one with the fake plant). So... one hour and a half walk... it seems fine to me as this way you can enjoy the beach plus you've all set with your daily exercise, so it's a win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks wonderful! It all goes together so well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where are the crab claws?
    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  9. Things seem to be falling into place. It may be a half hour walk to the beach, but I think it's worth you being in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous I really love it, I'm sure it makes things a whole lot better coming home to all this - really gorgeous - CJ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dining room looks so pretty! Looks like you had just the right piece for each wall. The gilded mirror is gorgeous.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  12. It´s looking beautiful!! Keep showing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's lovely, especially your French dining chairs and marble topped table!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow!! looks great!! and I can't believe that plant is fake.. looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Things are really coming together for you...love that table and the pine door!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can see how happy you're to be back home! You're so right, everything looks very pretty! I love that little alcove with the bureau and the printers tray in there, perfectly done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everything is looking amazing! The two vignettes are just beautiful. Kinda makes you feel like it was meet to be, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  18. it really is pretty, fiona:) LOVE your dining table and chairs. show us more!

    ReplyDelete

It's always a pleasure to receive your comments. I really enjoy reading them, and a huge thank you if you are following as well !