Sunday 11 March 2012

eclectic gallery wall

So finally, I've finished the gallery wall. I didn't mind what I had before, but I really wanted to get rid of the red in the room, so I needed to add things and mix up the photos that were at the far end.

I'm not going to go through everything today (it would drag on too long), but I'll just show you the basics.

So this was the before.



And this is the after, with a mix of photos, prints, beach junk, my butterfly and blossom canvas, and wooden block creation .



That's not the corner of a new sofa you might have spied, it's just a throw (the sofa I want is still in a shop down the road - unfortunately it might have to wait a while before it comes home with me).

I wanted to have a break in the middle of the pictures, and a gap around my little hatch which I posted about here. It took me forever because I needed the balance just right. I wanted to have something of each type on both sides ie. white frames, photos, ornate frames, prints etc. I've made loads of holes in the walls, because it just didn't work laying it out on the floor, but I'm finally happy with the result, and the room is due for a lick of paint anyway.




The large photo is one that the old geezer took in New York years ago, and the one saying Madison Avenue was given to us, because that's what we called our cafe. The frames for these two pieces were from a charity shop, just painted white and distressed.



There are another two of his photos on this side, and the botanical prints which I talked about here. The piece of beach junk I found just as it was and the gold ampersand I have had for years.



I wasn't actually going to have any gold in this room, but the whole wall started with this print of Mont St. Michel, which I originally posted about here.



And when I found the perfect sized frame for only £10, everything just worked out so well. This is it, with a landscape print, not my cup of tea at all.


And now with the mount painted white, and gold leaf added along the inside edge, I'm really pleased with the result.



I used the same technique on the tiny little print. This was it before.


And after with a bit of white paint and gold leaf.


It's sitting on a piece that was originally part of the wooden block thing-a-me-jig, but it didn't work, so I just turned it into a shelf.


So I'll show you some more another day, I'm all posted out ! I shall just sit and look at my gallery wall in the mirror.



linking up with -
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Cowgirl Up @ The Farmhouse Porch
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays @ Coastal Charm
Show me what ya got @ Not Just a Housewife
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
Primp Your Stuff Wednesdays @ {Primp}
Open House Party @ No Minimalist Here
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Inspiration Friday @ At the Picket Fence
Fridays Unfolded @ Stuff and Nonsense
Pot Pourri Friday @ 2805
Weekend wrapup Party @ Tatertots & Jello
Saturday Showoff @ Nutmeg Place
Spotlight Saturday @ Classy Clutter
Sunday's Best @ My 1929 Charmer

16 comments:

  1. Wow! This is fantastic, great ideas for me, thanks! Glad I found you at Sunday's Best Party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love gallery walls and you did a great job with yours!! The mantel is so pretty too - love the birdcage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Fiona! I've always thought that creating a gallery wall is not the easiest thing! I'd like to create one for my home too, but I keep postponing it, I know it would take me ages to complete it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good Fiona, but my favorite part is still the little doors!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Mont Saint Michel. Love the gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I WAS GOING TO FOLLOW YOU ON PINTEREST AS WELL BUT I GOT AN ERROR PAGE. THOUGHT I'D LET YOU KNOW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the art gallery, and your shelf is so awesome, fiona:) and the mirror with the candles-love it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a fabulous job on your gallery wall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Fiona. It's looking good! I put extra holes in the wall when putting up my plate wall too...just couldn't help it. We already have a five gallon bucket of paint at the ready so I didn't stress much about it. Can't wait to finish the painting now. Thanks for your sweet comment on my new jewelry box...you're awesome. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've so been wanting to create a gallery wall, and you've given me some inspiration. Very pretty and some really great ideas! Pat yourself on your back. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration over at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the changes you made on your gallery wall. It looks lighter and fresher.
    Thanks for stopping by, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your gallery wall looks fabulous....love it!
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd say you got that one just right. I especially like the variety of items that make it so much more interesting than just a series of pictures! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the wall- so many interesting piece! Thanks for linking up to "Cowgirl Up!". Happy to have you at the party!
    :) Samantha @ Crafty Texas Girls

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Fiona, this looks great. Did you make the bird picture on the left like you did the butterflies on the right?

    ReplyDelete
  16. This turned out great! I love all the interesting details you included. I like the bit of gold.

    Thanks for sharing on Show Off Saturday!

    XO

    ReplyDelete

It's always a pleasure to receive your comments. I really enjoy reading them, and a huge thank you if you are following as well !