Friday 24 February 2012

canvas knock-off

Ok, so I saw this in a local shop. It's not expensive at £9.99, but I didn't lurve it so much that I had to have it, I just like the style. I like the touch of gold on the butterflies, and the blossom. So I thought I would have a go at making one myself.


I have some spare canvas's at home, paint, metal leaf (in a gold colour) and acrylic size (the water based glue that's easy to use) AND something I found when I did my bookshelves in the 'Impossibility Challenge'.



Really, because I hadn't been 'crafting' for a while, I'd forgotten I had this. In fact I have 3 decoupage books, but this is the best because of all the motifs.
My memory tells me that Jocasta Innes was on tv a lot more than Annie Sloan when I was young, but I could be wrong ! 

There are pages and pages inside and I will gladly post them separately (over a period of time of course) if someone would kindly tell me if I should be changing them to a pgf or a abc or a btw sort of a thing - if you know what I mean  (technically challenged and unschooled in the art of all things abbreviated to letters) LOL !!!




And of course - butterflies. The book suggests CUTTING OUT the motifs to use - CRAZY. I won't be doing that. I couldn't bring myself to cut up a book OR waste them by using them only once.


Back to my canvas. I painted two base coats of white, then used the glaze from my stencilling. I  just paint it on and rub it around with a cloth, till I'm happy.


I found a picture of a blossom stencil on the internet and just used it as reference to draw straight onto the canvas. Then I used an old small brush and painted the blossom white. I didn't need it to be accurate, as I just wanted the feel of blossom, not the detail.


I was really happy, it only took 10 minutes and I think that maybe I should have left it like that, because the butterflies didn't go so well.
I copied four from the book, and then traced them onto the canvas and then added some more glaze.


Added some grey.


Then the gold.


I kept playing with them and added a darker grey because I wasn't so happy with them (I have been playing with them for a week or so). Now it's ok.
Straight on like this it works, but I like the way that the butterflies catch the light from certain directions.



It's on the still unfinished 'gallery wall'. And now I look at the shop canvas and I do like it, but mine cost me absolutely nothing and that's the kind of project I like !



Just two more pieces to finish and then I can show you my new gallery wall.

linking up with
Debbiedoos Newbie Party @ Debbiedoos
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Terrific under ten Tuesdays @ At Home With K
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays @ Coastal Charm
Show me what ya got @ Not Just a Housewife
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
Primp Your Stuff Wednesdays @ {Primp}
Open House Party @ No Minimalist Here
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Inspiration Friday @ At the Picket Fence
Fridays Unfolded @ Stuff and Nonsense
Pot Pourri Friday @ 2805
Weekend wrapup Party @ Tatertots & Jello
Saturday Showoff @ Nutmeg Place
Spotlight Saturday @ Classy Clutter
Sunday's Best @ My 1929 Charmer

26 comments:

  1. I like it so much! If we ever meet, pls could you make two of those pieces for me? And by the way what do you mean by saying..."I haven't been crafting for a while"? Oh I see... you mean that you're not crafting at nights because you have to sleep! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so talented! What's not to like about those paintings? I would still be trying to figure out how to draw the butterfly! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiona.... you know what this means don't you? It means you're an artist!!!

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is GORGEOUS! And yes, Jocasta Innes used to be the go-to gal in the early 1980s...we even had her books over here. And Laura Ashley dresses. And I was cute. Dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh girl.... yours is waaaaaaaay better than the shop one! How awesome! Love it - your so talented xx Nat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog and becoming a follower. I'm doing the same for you as you have some great ideas here. I too have been thinking about making my own wall hanging leaning toward reds. However, I so enJOY gold touches as well. Looking forward to following. btw, I'm hitting the "Linky" button too cause I hear that may go away even for Bloggies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it turned out really good. I love the butterflies! Ca't wait to see your finished gallery wall :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yours turned out lovely! I like yours much better than the one you used for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, you are all so talented. It turned out so pretty, I really love butterflies. Waiting to see your gallery wall. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best Par.tay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! It looks as great as the original!

    ReplyDelete
  11. *gasp* gorgeous! Really good work, I love it :)

    GG x

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful! You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a great job! Love the way it looks from different angles. Following you now.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully done! I have no gold leaf but DecoArt acrylic Patio Paint called Pot o' Gold has the best gold metallic sheen I've seen in a craft paint. I'm going to try it on a canvas, see if it even approaches the charm of your butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful. I'm pinning it. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW girl you are good! I love this, it turned out so pretty. Thanks for sharing your wonderful work with the newbie party:)!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks gorgeous! I love it!!

    I'd love for you to link up and share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2012/02/pinteresting-party-week-28.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow that is AMAZING! And I definatley thinkg the butterflies put it over the top!! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! I love trying to recreate something to make it more special. It's very light and airy-fairy looking...great job!Thanks for the comment on my unfortunate day. It was srather hilarious! xo wendy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, I LOVE it!! I'm your newest follower and I'd love it if you followed back. I would love it if you linked up to my little party: http://www.nutmegplace.com/2012/03/showoff-saturday-4.html

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so pretty!!! I love love the butterflies!!! I have a project party every weekend if you would like to join and link up your great ideas! http://bubblynaturecreations.com/2012/03/project-party-weekend-pretty-striped-pencils-tutorial.html
    I hope you will come! xoxo-Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are featured today at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! You did an amazing job!! Love those butterflies!

    http://www.remodelandolacasa.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. i think your own created canvas is absolutely grand! pretty prety!

    ReplyDelete

It's always a pleasure to receive your comments. I really enjoy reading them, and a huge thank you if you are following as well !