Thursday 25 October 2012

my multi-purpose mini guest room # 3


I need to keep all my sewing stuff in here because I have no place else for it.
I have quite a few things - threads, fabric, cross-stitch charts, canvases, ribbons and trims, and lots of unfinished needlepoint.
In my early 20's, I worked in a needlepoint shop in London, and so tried lots of different techniques. I even did lots of extra sewing for the shop in the evenings, in order to save to go travelling.
So, now it's stashed all over this little room.

Ribbons and all kinds of trim are in the Ikea drawers.
I just have to decorate them !


As I'm trying to spend as little money as possible, I used some floating shelves I already had, but added the corbels underneath to make them fit in with the scheme a bit better.

Some cross-stitch charts and sewing magazines are in the box files. I covered these years ago, with photocopies of the fabric in the room.


It still needs a bit of sorting out !

Pandy (my bff) found 4 matching jars, that fit perfectly in my wire rack - they'll be filled up soon enough.


On the table are my favourite peces. 


My Grandmother's sewing box.


Her button box.


Her tin with hooks and clips (written on a very scrappy piece of paper and stuck on).


A dish I love with a little scissor case and wooden needle holder.


I made up the patchwork design on the scissors case, it's on 18 gauge needlepoint canvas, and done with silks, but I didn't do the finishing. We had an amazing lady at the shop who made these up with the tiny piping. She also made up beautiful cushions and eye-glass cases, and worked on soft furnishings for an interior company.


And the reverse.


There are canvases and bigger trims in the baskets under this table. 


This area needs a bit more work, and the sewing machine will probably sit here, or at the end of the bed when I have made a cover for it.

Finally, I managed to find some cheap storage boxes to fit under the bed and hold all my fabrics. Five of them fit perfectly.


So another long, drawn out post, you know I can't do short ones (though I have tried !). 

The guest room is nearly done, just a light fitting to finish (I've been on it for weeks !). A few bits of sewing to do and the Ikea drawers to decorate.



Do you see the coaster on the edge of the table, that's for a glass of water ...............it is a guest room after all  !!!!!!!!!!!!!

linking up with
Make it pretty Monday @ The Dedicated House
Tuesdays Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays @ Coastal Charm
Cowgirl Up @ The Farmhouse Porch
Knick of Time Tuesdays @ Knick of Time
What's It Wednesday @ Ivy and Elephants
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
Primp Your Stuff Wednesdays @ {Primp}
All Star Block Party @ Full Circle Creations
Open House Party @ No Minimalist Here
Pot Pourri Friday @ 2805
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest

Sunday's Best @ My 1929 Charmer
 









16 comments:

  1. I love peeking, how people maintains tidy their houses, I always learn something :)

    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sewing/guest room looks lovely. So neat that you have your grandmother's sewing box etc. Such treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is looking fabulous. My guest room has to do double duty too, so I so understand You have some fabulous sewing items and great keepsakes. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous guest bedroom - such simple, clever ideas - and I LOVE your grandmother's boxes. Fx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been quite a busy bee organizing your sewing room. I like that you added the corbels under the floating shelves. I've got a large wood cabin I'd like to display on a shelf, and this would fit the bill.

    Your needlepoint scissor case has a very intricate design and all the boxes you've inherited are pretty, too. Now your guests not only have a coaster for their glass of water, but lots of interesting things to look at. They might never leave. :@

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your grandmother's tins. Beautiful. Also love your corbels - lovely touch and so much character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do I love the sewing boxes best or the wire baskets with the bottles? It might be the table that is the favourite. It's all just lovely put together and anyone would love to be a guest in that room! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so lucky to have Pandy keeping an eye out for things for you. She does good. Inquiring minds need to know if you put your sewing bins under the Geezer's side of the bed too?

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a perfect reflection of your "Fiona Charm" Love it that you photocopied the fabric to cover the boxes - think I'm going to do that myself! Oh, and my grandmother and mother had/have a metal tin with snaps and hooks in them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you just brought back a wonderful memory. Many years ago I made some needlepoint pillows in a patchwork design. I loved those pillows. I had forgotten them and have no idea whatever happened to them. I imagine that I gave them away when we downsized to our little cottage. Have fun finishing off your space.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great to have a room that serves more than one purpose. Your grandmother's tins are beautiful and such a treasure to have.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for leaving a sweet comment, I really appreciate it.
    Blessings,
    moni

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything in my house has double duty. It seems to be a must. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your sewing/guest room looks fantastic. I love your grandmother's sewing and button boxes! How beautiful!! Thank you for sharing. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party which goes live at 8am CST on Monday at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely! I love all of your grandmothers boxes! And the corbels give the room just the right touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fiona, I love the fact that you actually use your grandmother's precious pieces, which aren't only pretty, but practical, as well. Her notes, stuck on to the top of the tin box are what make this little container so special. I would love to see her handwriting every time I went to open it, which is a treasure in itself.

    Have a lovely weekend!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete

It's always a pleasure to receive your comments. I really enjoy reading them, and a huge thank you if you are following as well !