Sunday 16 November 2014

a bit of this and that and a little chicken wrap !



No, I've not been gone so long because I've been working on changing this into a food blog !
A little chicken wrap is not about my favourite sandwich (it wouldn't have chicken in it anyway), but something entirely different.........more on that later.

First, I need to tell you about dear Nancy over at A Joyful Cottage, who wrote a lovely piece about my home and me and made me realise that I seriously need to pull my finger out (not the nicest expression in the world, but very apt) and get on with some creating and decorating.
You can read all about it here.


The reason I haven't posted for so long, or visited y'all, is not for any particular reason, just a chain of events.
Friends who know me here will know that I have a lazy streak, and I'm very good at allowing myself to be lazy, especially after the workload I had during our busiest summer at Coast Café.


In fact summer seemed to go on and on and on - the last time I wore 3/4 length trousers (because the kitchen gets unbearably hot) was only three weeks ago during half term, when the café was once again as busy as it had been in July !

Something else happened, I lost some weight. I didn't notice at first that I'd dropped 6lbs. But the 10 or 11 hour days (I know chefs in top end restaurants do much longer days than this) on my feet with no break, then feeling too tired to eat at home, took their toll. It was easy to carry on because the busy schedule carried on. To date I've lost 17 lbs. When I lose weight I start to think about clothes more and more. So instead of buying stuff for my house, I did more clothes shopping and less crafting.

Feeling better about the way I looked made me realise that I'd like to go out more. I was turning into a bit of a recluse, and my brother kept remarking on it. I was quite happy though, happy to be in my own space without the old geezer, happy to be at home, happy but perhaps wondering if it was a little unhealthy.
So I've been asking friends to go out for a drink (which they find extremely bizarre) and we've got quite a few evenings planned from now till Christmas.
I'm still not much of a drinker because I can't bear feeling rough the next day (and a certain party in my twenties made me realise I didn't want to ever be out of control again - maybe that's another post for another day !) so I don't go crazy, but it's been fun.

So, the chicken wrap....................
My poor wee dog got a grass seed in his paw in August. They can be extremely dangerous, as they're like thorns that can travel up to the heart or lungs. Luckily the vet realised that it was probably a grass seed when we went for a routine vaccination. I thought Rufie was doing his normal summer scratching and itching but the vet realised it was more serious. He was booked in for the next day, and when I collected my sad little dog who was very sleepy and kept 'crying', this is what he looked like........


with his little chicken wrap !


And even though he was totally exhausted and could hardly hold his head up, he followed me everywhere, because he didn't want to be alone.


And I felt like a very bad Mum who had taken my fluffy baby for torture, and I knew we had to visit the vets twice more before the ordeal was over.

About two weeks later when the chicken wrap came off, Rufie had a slightly alien looking foot, but it had healed up nicely and he seems to have forgiven me.


From Tuesday I have a week off, so I'm going to make a start on my hall, stairs and landing. Something I've been putting off for months but Nancy has inspired me to get on.
I'm not sure how much I'll get done because I'm going to London with my bf Pandy (one of the teenagers at work told me that saying bff is uncool, so I've cut it to bf !!) on Friday for a couple of nights, because we're going to see Strictly Come Dancing at the BBC studios in Elstree. She got everyone she knows to apply for free tickets (for every single Saturday that it's on tv) because she loves a certain pro called Anton du Beke, and I couldn't believe it when I won. This is the best present I could give someone who has done so much for me over the years.

I've also just finished watching the latest series of Downton, which ended in an incredible climax and now we have to wait for the Christmas special to see what happened next. And because I used to work for Spode and Royal Worcester (selling their wares in a reputable department store !!), let me just tell you that Lord and Lady Grantham and their friends and family drink their tea from Spode's Stafford White, just in case you were thinking of investing in a new tea service.
And if you're feeling very flush a little Stafford Flowers would mix in very nicely !


 
I've also been trying to catch up with all the posts I've missed. I've caught up with a few people so far, but I've still got a lot of reading to do, and I'm determined to read everything and thank you to those of you that asked after me. And while I'm here a friend has a Christmas giveaway that I know you'll all love, and she made it very easy for me to catch up with her because she doesn't post much (!!!) so thank you Diane, and this is the link The Checkered Apple

I have actually made a few minor changes at home, so I may be back with them soon - or maybe not !
Thanks if you've made it to the end
Fiona x


13 comments:

  1. I totally understand how blogging is the last thing you're thinking about when you're dead on your feet, Fiona! And I would be perfectly happy staying at home on my days and evenings off from work, but like you, I've been making myself get out and socialize a bit more. Actually, I think most bloggers would rather spend time at home and that's why we've published blogs. :o)

    Congrats on winning the tickets and enjoy your well-deserved trip! And I'm glad Rufie is making a complete recovery. He even looked cute with his chicken wrap on his front legs!

    Now I'm off to read about your lovely home.........

    Welcome back!
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiona, so glad your baby is on the mend. Have a great time in London!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Fiona,

    So nice to see a post from you! Kudos on the weight loss! It is very rewarding, isn't it, when you realize you need a new wardrobe? For me, it's almost as fun as hunting for vintage treasures! Glad you're more out and about, and with the holidays coming up, everything is so cheery and festive; enjoy yourself!

    Poor Rufie, but glad he's okay and on the mend. That chicken wrap looks adorable on him, (I'm sure his lady friends were extra sweet to him during his rehab!), but it's good that he no longer needs to wear it.

    Saw your feature a few days ago at Nancy's - absolutely lovely presentation! Looking forward to your posts, whether they're about a new LBB or a white shabby chic shelf!

    Have a wonderful week!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fiona,
    You sure have had your plate full since your last post! Sorry your little babe had his foot troubles. So glad he made back from such an ordeal!
    Weight loss is always a good feeling and of course, so is buying new clothes! Sounds like you'll be a busy girl out and about enjoying yourself soon. Have a great time with your bf in London. I'm sure it will be a great time to get out and get a little crazy!

    Thanks for sharing my giveaway post. So sweet of you to do that!

    Be well!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rufie looks so cute! I'm glad you're back and I know how fast time can fly when we work and come back home tired! Enjoy your time off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot to comment on:
    - glad you are posting again
    - lucky you on losing weight and then the shopping and "partying" with friends
    - poor little Rufie - it is so hard when our little fur babies are not themselves
    - how fun that it is your turn to pamper Pandy
    - enjoy your week off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're back for however long! Sounds like you had a very productive blog break. (I've been on a long one and I haven't lost 17 lbs, but I have been catching up on friends and life in general.) Your dog is the sweetest and I'm glad he's on the mend. Looking forward to seeing your progress on the hall and stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well while you are waiting to get some DIY done, I say do a post about that drunk time years ago. Let us have a good laugh while it makes us feel normal. Give the pooch a neck rub for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yahoo..yippee...and so on and so on.... so glad you are back Fiona!! I know exactly what the blog break is all about and personally I am just learning to space it all out. Hey, life does have to happen so good for you going out, buying yourself clothes...all that stuff that means you are enjoying you!
    Also, thanks for that link to your story and all those fabulous pics of your home. Wow, it is all as cute as I imagined. There were some familiar images but then there were some angles of rooms that I had never seen. I have always loved the cozy feel of your home.
    Anyway, glad you are back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm fine with you becoming a social butterfly, happy that you can treat Pandy, understanding of your worries over Rufie, sorry you have had to work such long hours and thrilled that you have to get a new wardrobe after losing all that weight. But, I cannot forgive you for being able to see the new season of Downtown before I can get it here! I feel so cheated that I may have to go out and buy that china.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You made my day, Fiona! I'm so happy to see a post on your blog; I'm smiling from ear to ear. I received so many wonderful comments about your home and talent on my post. You inspire us! No pressure from this side of the ocean, but it will be wonderful to see an update on your blog whenever you write one. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to see that you've rejoined the land of the living and blogging. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha, how cute was that chicken wrap! I'm so glad Rufie is doing well and that you're back at posting! Have a great time in London and enjoy your new clothes, you totally deserve it!

    ReplyDelete

It's always a pleasure to receive your comments. I really enjoy reading them, and a huge thank you if you are following as well !